Friday 16 September 2016

Paralympics writing

The sweat slowly drips down my forehead and tumbles and into the shadowy water below.A ripple spreads from the zone it fell into.The other racers silently waited for the buzzer to go.My prayers flow silently.My head rumbles with anticipation.A war rages on in my stomach.
Red falls across the screen.It fell to the box below and the box below.The last box.This it  the moment I had been waiting for.TRAINING FOR.The world slows I turn my head.My coach gives me a reasuring grin.I put my poker face on and wait for the inevitable colour.GREEN.The buzzer blasts out a sound like a strangled goat.

We dive majestically into the deep blue water and submerge. My missing leg slows me down and for a moment I go nostalgic and watery, memories flood my head,but they fall away slowly like a petal from a flower or a leaf from a tree. It was a bad start and I knew it.So did my coach I don’t dare look up but I could sense him grinding his teeth and biting his fingernails.Angry and worried strange when put together.

The other swimmers were ahead and all hope was lost in my head.No postive thoughts were racing around inside.I could see my diasapointed fans in my mind.My family staring down at me laughing and mouthing cripple. Tears flood my eyes and mist my goggles, anger soon taking the better of me.

We reach the hard stone wall and thrust ourselves backwards in a flip like motion.The last lap was upon me and god I wish it wasn’t.The other racers were visibly starting to slow.Energy draining.There efforts starting to weaken.I came to a fork in the road hesitated but drove myself down the lane titled glory.My arms and leg were beating a rhythm worthy of a gold medal finish.Nothing could stop me now.I was coming to an absaloute thrashing.Nothing else was in the air abut from the excellent taste of victory. Everything was finally falling into place.The crowd shouted my name.Some even screamed.1st place was mine.What a glorious gold!

My coach leaps up and down and screams like a little girl.He was enjoying this even more than me.He gives a smug grin to the other coaches then ambles over to haul me out of the pool.”You did it”!The podium awaits my eyes avert from my coach and stare at in wonder at the cheering crowd.I trod over to the podium,coach gladfully giving a helping hand to bring me up.Joyfully we step up to the top step.The gold step but most importantly,the winning step.

A grin breaks out and my medal is placed around my neck.I cheer with the crowd and share a joyous occasion with thousands of people I barely know.But it is the best feeling in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment