Friday 16 September 2016

Olympics Writing sample

We step up to the starting line.My entire body buzzing with excitement.I can’t believe that I am actually doing this.Somehow I can feel the suporters crouching around the televison hoping and wishing that their country would come back succesful.Butterflies invade my stomach.The time for glory was coming very soon.

This was it.My heartbeat slows,my prayers go up to the man in the sky.I could feel that a gold was coming my way.BANG!The gun goes off.The whole world slows.Time is irrelevant,The whole world seems to be calling my name.Time starts to get faster.I’m not ready,IM NOT READY!

My head bangs like a drum and I feel sick.But we’re off all the same.The other racers pull ahead but I’m not going to be pushed out of this race like an unwanted toy.I start to bring the heat up on the other racers.Like I’m the gas and their the pan.This was going to be difficult but I was going to win all the same

Legs working like an overweight joggers I start to pass the other competitors.I started to feel like this was going well.But tragedy always strikes at the best of times.I wipe the sweat off my brow and my concentration wavers.My mind slips and my ankle rolls.I cry out desprately and lash out at the closest thing to me.

As it happens the closest thing to me happened to be 3rd place.We both stumble and tumble over onto the soft synthetic lawn next to the track.But unluckily for me I just happened to land face first.In that moment I felt like giving up.But I just couldn’t.I had trained and trained and TRAINED for this.So now I was angry.But as it happens so was formerly third place.He roared like a wild animal and came charging at me.

But his anger spurs me on and I scramble up and onto my feet.His eyes bulged and his mouth hung open in a strange fashion.Both of us were running faster than ever before.But 2nd to last place was surely engraved into my tombstone.The bunch of runners in front of us loomed.

Suddenly I realised the crowd was chanting my name. The stadium seemed to bristle with the thought of me winning.It brightened my mind considerably.My mind set on not coming last I grimaced and turned up the heat even more.I was figuratively burning up.I begin to pant like a dog and my legs turn to jelly.A strange feeling creeps up on me.I beging to pass the other runners.They seem to all jump in shock.The other racer was still chasing me!The finishing line was in sight, my countries flag waves in the unrelenting breeze.1st place was surely in my sights.NEARLY THERE!!

Once again time slows and I stumble and fall.Gold was out of my sights possibly silver.Maybe even bronze.But all was not lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment